Monday, August 15, 2005

The Fine Art of Reading

A reader of the blog sent me an email suggesting that I comment on how long it takes me to read a book. Generally, this is difficult to determine since for me it is based purely on the time available to read. In general, I read about 60-70 pages an hour, so if I have a lot of time on my hands, I will whip right through the book; where if my husband is bugging me or I am only reading on the subway or at lunch, it may take me two weeks to get through a book.

Also, the sophistication of the text will determine the speed of the read. Juvenile novels go quicker than adult; diversion reading goes faster than non-fiction or "literature"; re-reading goes faster than everything else because you can skim a little more.

Those are my thoughts on the time it takes me to read. Thanks for asking! :) What do you all think?

Love,
Your Friendly Librarian

1 comment:

Mina24 said...

For me it depends on the difficulty of the text. In general, mysteries are easier than classical lit.