Monday, August 15, 2005

The Fine Art of Reading

A reader of the blog sent me an email suggesting that I comment on how long it takes me to read a book. Generally, this is difficult to determine since for me it is based purely on the time available to read. In general, I read about 60-70 pages an hour, so if I have a lot of time on my hands, I will whip right through the book; where if my husband is bugging me or I am only reading on the subway or at lunch, it may take me two weeks to get through a book.

Also, the sophistication of the text will determine the speed of the read. Juvenile novels go quicker than adult; diversion reading goes faster than non-fiction or "literature"; re-reading goes faster than everything else because you can skim a little more.

Those are my thoughts on the time it takes me to read. Thanks for asking! :) What do you all think?

Love,
Your Friendly Librarian

2 comments:

Hank said...

Don't be so modest. I'm pretty sure I have seen you hit 100 ppm. That is some hard core power reading!

Mina24 said...

For me it depends on the difficulty of the text. In general, mysteries are easier than classical lit.